Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Organic


MMEF (My Most Excellent Friend) Mr. Retail saved me the trouble of deciding what to post about by posing this question: Who are the great jazz organists?
The place to begin is the Prof's birthplace, Camden, NJ, where in 1926 Fats Waller made jazz organ recordings for Victor on the RCA Estey organ. Waller played organ in his father's church in Harlem and in silent picture theaters before he develped his jazz chops. (For more fascinating information about Fats and all things organically jazz, try this site.)

3 comments:

  1. We use an organ in our music, you should write about us.

    All the best,
    Human Beast

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Human Beast! It's been a long time since I've heard from you. As soon as I do my special post on Scottish acid bands with organs you'll be at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete